Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummmmmy Faux-stess Cupcakes



A few months ago, I was Googling like there's no tomorrow, searching for different cupcakes to try. And then I came across the recipe for "Hostess filling". And OMG - it was heaven. Really, who doesn't love marshmallow fluff?

So I figured I'd use my standard go-to chocolate cake recipe and jazz it up a bit by adding a marshmallow creme filling. And while I was at it, I figured, "Hey, why not try to make some ganache, too." So glad I did. They flipped at work!!

So here's the deal...
Make your favorite chocolate cupcakes. Then.....

For the Marshmallow Creme Filling: (I've tried a few recipes for this -- this one is my favorite... I found it on the Evil Shenanigans blog)

2 tsp very hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Dissolve the salt in the hot water and allow to cool. (this is EXTREMELY important.... I kept forgetting to dissolve the salt and the filling tasted salty... duh!!)

Whip the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla until it begins to get fluffy. Add the water/salt mixture and whip well.

I use an open star tip in a pastry bag to infuse the cupcakes with the marshmallow creme filling. I'm not a fan of using an apple corer -- it's messy - and besides, I like to feel the cupcake getting heavy in my hand when using a pastry bag to fill them. You can put sooooo much more filling in them than you get in the Hostess ones!!

I then spread a thin layer of the marshmallow creme on top of the cupcakes and refrigerate for a few minutes to chill them.


Now it's time for the ganache frosting....
I like to keep it simple - so I use 2 ingredients. Heavy cream and chocolate. I had taken a class at the Viking Cooking School and couldn't believe how easy ganache was to make. Now I finally had a chance to make my own!

For the ganache:
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 oz. quality semisweet chocolate (chopped into small pieces so it melts quicker)

Place chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup heavy cream just to a boil and remove from stove. Pour it over the chocolate and cover with plastic wrap for 5 minutes. When finished, slowly mix with a wire wisk until completely blended.

Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the ganache until the marshmallow creme topping is completely covered. If you need to, twirl the cupcake as you lift it to catch the excess ganache. I rarely have to do this.

For the swirled decor on top, I like to use either butter cream or royal icing. I've used the marshmallow creme, but it seemed to melt, so I don't suggest that! You can use a #3 tip in a pastry bag and pipe a message or design onto your cupcakes, or just go with the signature curls.



Now hurry up and make these!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG I'm totally going to make these! I'll have to send them to work with my husband or else I'll eat them all... When you pipe the filling in, you don't need to hollow out the cupcake at all? A piping bag will work just fine? That's so super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, if you use a piping bag, you do not need to core it out. When squeezing the creme in, you will feel the cupcake getting filed. Don't overdo it or it will crack in half and you will be "forced" to eat those before anyone notices!

    ReplyDelete